Affective Domain and Growth Mindset in the Classroom


Carol Dweck and her theory of Growth Mindset has played a major role in my teaching philosophy and my role as a student. When I first started the MAT program at Stevenson University Online, I did not know what to expect. Furthermore, I didn’t know what to expect with my classroom field experience and I was worried that I would be a bad teacher. I mean, I had zero teaching experience and just 1 year down of graduate school so could you blame me for being worried? However, practicing a growth mindset and believing the idea that with time and through trial and error, I will be a good teacher. The affective domain is important in taking into account how students learn and coupling that with a growth mindset enables students to flourish in the classroom by putting forth effort. As I’m ending my internship, I feel absolutely confident in my abilities to effectively educate students in STEM pedagogy and figure out ways that will enhance their learning.
            There’s a lot said in practicing what you preach. I always tell my students that effort is worth more than just getting the correct answer. Luckily, my students are still in the “pleasing the teacher” phase so if they see that I positively reinforce actions that showcase effort, more students will follow that path. I also have created an environment that’s fun, positive, and respectful so students feel comfortable. In my class, we practice the scientific method often. I have seen tremendous growth in my students going through each step in the process with finesse and precision. Earlier in the year, I could sense that some students either weren’t interested in science or had the mindset that they weren’t good at it so by taking into account the affective domain, I was able to tie in relatable things like sports or music to the content I was teaching. As a teacher, I serve as a model for my students so in order for them to practice a growth mindset, I need to practice it myself. As I’m teaching the content, I share personal stories of how I’ve overcome content misconceptions and I will provide students with mnemonic devices as a study aid. By sharing stories, I am building trust and rapport and I am a living example of how I’ve overcome obstacles by putting forth effort. Additionally, incorporating positive reinforcement instills confidence in my students which also helps promote motivation. Having them feel comfortable in the environment where they can try new things or ask various questions was my goal and I believe I’ve been successful in that.  
            When I first wrote my teaching philosophy, I didn’t include Growth Mindset, but after having some teaching experience, I realized it has greatly influenced my teaching style and I added Carol Dweck as an impactful theorist. The theories of affective domain and growth mindset have also facilitated my creation of a positive learning environment which has solidified my relationship with students. I frequently use informal affective assessments to gauge student understanding. Their motivation and attitude about learning science is essential to a successful lesson. To keep students engaged in the lesson, I often use analogies and tie in current trends to promote meaningful learning. In the beginning of the year, students weren’t as involved in class discussions, but now they freely participate and I attribute that to their ability to listen to others and their increased interest in the subject matter. I’ve had instances in which students didn’t feel confident in their understanding of a certain topic so I’ve created manipulatives to help them visually understand concepts. My ability to recognize their lack of confidence is another use of affective assessment in my classroom. Lastly, I use a lot of confidence tests like a thumbs up, down, or sideways throughout lessons especially with topics that are more complicated like protein synthesis. The affective domain is an important component in both teaching and student learning and incorporating a growth mindset in the classroom promotes student development in all aspects.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special Education Timeline

Culturally Relevant Pedagogy

Understanding Mutations