Teacher Reflection


Thus far, I’m working with students a lot more one-on-one on the days I’m at my internship. This is the time of year where students start to get sick and miss school. Last week, I was working with a student who missed a couple of days and since I have 4 sections of biology at different end points, I started from the very beginning of the PowerPoint notes the student had. First off, I want to point out that this student has increased their self-advocacy to ask for help when needed so I’m very happy about that! However, this student is one who can get lost in all the details. Right now, we’re on the unit of photosynthesis and there are so many little details students must know. When I started going over things, the student said, “Oh we already learned that, I know it.” So I had asked the student to explain it to me in their own words to teach me and that’s when the student realized that just because they’ve seen it, doesn’t mean they know it yet. That specific experience allowed me to see the value of accountability and the value of taking time to take a step back to ensure fundamental understanding. That’s an opportunity that will allow me to grow more as a teacher. 
            I’m fortunate enough to be surrounded by many exemplary teachers at my school placement so I’ve seen firsthand what characteristics they hold. An exemplary teacher is adaptable, flexible, and patient. An exemplary teacher is also one that does not give up on a student and will find new ways to help approach a concept differently if a student is stuck. They put their students first and praise effort rather than just getting the right answer. Exemplary teachers communicate openly with students and communicate openly about expectations. Lastly, they develop a partnership with students and help guide them.
            As the school year progresses, I hope to develop more classroom management skills. While I don’t have a classroom yet, I do feel a bit out of place at times when it comes to disciplining students, but I need to grow more of a backbone and be firmer. I would also like to add more teaching strategies and activities in my “toolbox” when kids are stuck so I can find new ways to engage them. I want to be the teacher that students come to for extra help and I believe I can achieve that next semester when I’m there every day. Working with students one-on-one helps build my rapport with them, but also increases my confidence as a teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special Education Timeline

Culturally Relevant Pedagogy

Understanding Mutations